6.2.10

June 2, 1847

                                                 
"fine weather [ ] done some repairing for Heber C. Kimball"

***********

The pioneers are at Fort Laramie now and they will stay here for a few days to rest and to re-supply their needs. They are on the other side of a "river" from Fort Laramie, but close enough to walk there after crossing over. There are a lot of images of Fort Laramie as a wooden fort or stockade. It was a maze of different buildings all needed for a purpose.

Images from O. Ned Eddins below are what the fort looked like then through ruins of it today.



Fort Laramie started out as Fort John. It didn't get the Laramie name until years later. It was here they learned that not many days before, Missouri governor Lilburn W. Boggs, who had issued an extermination order against the Mormons in Missouri a few years prior, had been in this very fort. He was still up to his old tricks and had spread the word that the Mormons were coming this way and to watch their cattle and horses as they would steal every one in sight. Boggs did not leave with any love lost with the fort superintendent as he was glad to be rid of him and his quarreling bunch when they finally left. It was a small world for the pioneers, even way out in the uncharted west to run into him that close.